Thursday, December 8, 2011

A CEO Talks about the Importance of Grokking

I had lunch last week with an author of two once best-selling business books. I was interviewing him on behalf of a client for a consulting job. I was brought in because the client wanted a good arm’s length interview they could easily pass around the C-suite. The writer had once run a very large corporation, did so famously, and wrote well about it. The recorded interview itself was telling and useful relative to the client's decision about whether or not to consider him further for the assignment. But it was the informal discussion later when he brought up a useful notion he said I could share with other Corpwar readers.

This notion is his very deep seated belief of something called "grokking". This was what he always looked for in his inner team members. He said it was an even denser form of value, to him, than what I call a "corporate warrior" (a phrase he considers a bit pop and superficial). I had never heard the term “grok” before so I asked what it meant to him in a functional, as well as philosophical, sense.

He answered, "It means the guy or gal is really inside the skill set of something. It's not an external layer. Most people with good skills wear them like good clothes. But it's still external. A layer on the outside. A person that groks something knows it so thoroughly it has become part of them. It has become their retina through which they see everything."

"Doesn't that singular focus lead to a kind of social dysfunction?" I asked having seen exactly that in software engineers, actuaries, etc., that I have been responsible for hiring.

"Sometimes. Those guys we just put into a nice corner with good tools and keep the place dusted for them. Everybody that’s properly employed adds equity holder value in their own way; if they grok something of value to the organization, and therefore the equity holder, then that value add is pretty high. You need to support it and use it. My ongoing goal, perfection really, is having our most important critical paths composed of these kinds of people doing what they grok. It's a beautiful thing to watch projects flash up those human chains once they are assembled."

I asked him what he grokked. He smiled and said "Well, that's simple. People."

I left the meeting asking myself what I "grok" in my professional life, if indeed anything. I concluded it would be recruiting in its various flavors, such as doing useful interviews and selling exceptional candidates that don’t want to move jobs; that it will improve their life in various meaningful ways to take that leap. It’s a fairly diverse skill cloud that, when brought to a singular focus, is actually somewhat limited, which I found humbling.

It might be beneficial to ask yourself the same question: "Do I grok at anything, and if so what?" After looking at your core team members with the same question in mind, suggest they do the same. And so on. It’s a useful exercise for accelerating things.

Think about it...